Development and Project Management
GITEC Consult GMBH
GITEC-IGIP GmbH is an international company that offers cross-disciplinary consulting services for development projects..
We’ve been involved in the success of hundreds of development projects since the company’s creation in 1977.
We support our clients in leading complex and challenging development programs from start to finish.
Our teams manage projects comprehensively: their engineering components, their institutional & social frameworks, their macro-economic & micro-economic aspects and their environmental integration.
GITEC-IGIP GmbH is a member of GITEC-IGIP Holding, which comprises a permanent network of 15 companies in Africa, Asia, Europe and South America. This allows us to build teams that combine world-recognised expertise and an in-depth knowledge of the circumstances in your region.
We work with people and international and local partners who have a sustained record of providing successful project support in our project regions. Long-term business relationships are key to our success.
Our in-house staff is well-qualified and experienced in helping organizations successfully carry out projects in the fields of:
The role of the national expert for Environmental, Social, Health and Safety (ESHS) will be to make sure that the stipulations of E&S Management Frameworks. The position is part-time position.
Project status: Tender
Project title: Strengthening Drought Resilience in Ethiopia (SDR3)
Period of project: Approximately 09/2022 – 08/2026
Duration of Assignment: 24 months
Duty station: Duty station of the expert will be in the Afar region
- Sectoral experience ESHS:
- At least 5 years of experience in construction supervision and ESHS performance tracking of similar projects, including responsibilities for community liaison and stakeholder engagement;
- Experience in development, Environmental and social impact assessment (ESIA), implementation and supervision of E&S management plans, systems and/or frameworks in line with national and international environmental and social safe-guards;
- In-depth familiarity with national regulations in Ethiopia and international good practice related to occupational health and safety and public health and safety as well as environmental and social regulations;
- Experience within construction and development projects related stakeholder engagement and grievance management, including management of workers’ grievances;
- Experiences in consultations and participatory processes with indigenous peoples, traditional communities or other marginalized groups would be a benefit; specific experience with Afar people would be a strong advantage;
- Ability to achieve the objectives of ESHS management in difficult environments, including ability to provide thorough and strong guidance for contractors and workers related to ESHS requirements.
Sectoral experience monitoring:
- Familiarity with modern monitoring technologies related to impact monitoring;
- Proven track record with participatory monitoring and evaluation approaches
- Experience for work in rural areas for at least 5 years;
- Experience in the lowlands of Ethiopia would be a plus
- Experience in setting up M&E systems for development projects and in carrying out M&E in difficult environments;
- Previous experience with work for donor-funded projects in similar positions
- Proficiency in the English language; proficiency in Afar language would be an asset