Automotive, Logistics, Transport and Supply Chain
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
In Ethiopia, GIZ has been working for more than 40 years in bilateral cooperation on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and on commission of the Ethiopian government and international donors.
Vacancy Announcement #201/2023
Climate Change Cluster
Contract duration: 31.12.2026
Application deadline: 09.12.2023
Duty station: Addis Ababa (Frequent travel to lowland regions is required)
GIZ supports the Ethiopian Government in various areas, increasingly also in the Ethiopian lowlands, which account for nearly 60% of Ethiopia’s land area. They are inhabited by more than 18 million (agro-)pastoralists, and people who create their livelihood from related professions. Due to population growth and the increasingly frequent occurrence of extreme weather events, this livelihood system is increasingly put at risk and the people, their livestock and the harvests have become increasingly vulnerable. Extensive resource use like overgrazing and deforestation causes food insecurity, soil degradation, and erosion. The result are dry valleys, in which rainwater flows quickly out of the area before being able to infiltrate into the soil. This further exacerbates desertification and food insecurity. To address this issue, the Dry Valley Rehabilitation and Productive Use (DVRPU) approach was developed in cooperation with the Ministry of Agriculture (MoA) and the Bureaus of Agriculture (BoA) in Afar and Somali regions.
The Capacity Development for Strengthening Drought Resilience (CDSDR) Project has started its third phase. It promotes the DVRPU approach with a series of technical, biological, economic, social, institutional, and managerial measures applied to rehabilitate entire dry valleys for the benefit of the inhabitants and their animals while ensuring environmental stability. Besides upscaling of the approach in other weredas of Somali and Afar regions, it will further expand its application to selected lowland areas of Oromia and SNNPR regions.
Against this background, GIZ CDSDR III is recruiting one Drivers as outlined below:
- As part of the GIZ SDR program team, will be accountable to the logistics officer.
- Will be responsible for driving services, changing wheels and tires, maintenance and minor repairs.
- Take over additional tasks like, preparing the car for mission, translation or picture taking during field visits, setting up camping equipment for overnight stays in the field, procurement services, cash courier in line with Head Driver and Administration and Financial team.
- Coordinate with the Head Driver vehicle allocation for missions in-line with GIZ regulations and in collaboration with its partner institutions.
- Coordinate with the Head Driver for the management and maintenance of the allocated vehicle and the vehicle fleet
- Drive assigned vehicles safely and chauffer project and GIZ staff, official visitors and partners to official destinations.
- Prepare the vehicle for heavy duty off-road trips in the lowlands (reserve tyres, repair kit, water, first aid and safety equipment)
- Take careful note of all available information concerning street condition, effective routes, security and locations.
- Report the need for maintenance to the logistics officer.
- Immediately report any involvement of the office/program vehicle in any, even minor accidents, or any damage or theft of equipment from the vehicle.
- Fill the board book according to regulations.
- Read and understand all regulations with regard to driving and passenger management.
- The Driver performs other duties and tasks at the request of the management.
- Secondary school level.
- Possession of valid driving license.
- Required language skills: Basic English in spoken and written, good knowledge of Amharic and Afan Oromo.
- Being ready for regular and long absence missions in all of Ethiopia and occasional missions to neighboring countries.
- At least 5 years of working experience as driver with references (no accidents caused)
- Proven experience of driving in rural areas and off-road areas.
- Vocational training of car mechanics is of advantage.
- Previous Job experience with international organizations is of advantage
As per GIZ scale