Development and Project Management, Health Care
Save the Children
Save the Children believes every child deserves a future. In Ethiopia and around the world, we give children a healthy start in life, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. We do whatever it takes for children – every day and in times of crisis – transforming their lives and the future we share.
Save the Children Ethiopia works in 9 regions in Ethiopia with a current staff complement of approximately 2,500 staff. The size of the programme and the amount of human, financial and material resources put into it as well as the requirements of different donors requires substantial amount of quality and efficient human resource. This makes Save the Children an exciting place to work.
Accordingly, Save the Children Ethiopia is looking to hire creative individuals who have the experience and competencies to work; support the development of an organisational culture that reflects dual mandate values; help establish, maintain, and improve active and regular working relationships with host government authorities, partner agencies including humanitarian and development donors, and local and international NGOs; ensure Ethiopia Country Office complies with all Save the Children Management Operating Standards and Standard Operating Procedures and that all required support is provided promptly, at scale and in line with the rules and principles.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure that sponsorship-funded core programs reflect the best of common approach to sponsorship funded programming (CASP) and that the program cycle for all CASP modules is fully completed and documented.
- Collaborate with the FOM to prepare all the required documentations including annual operational plan (POP) and Annual Report.
- Work with sponsorship health of sponsorship and core program coordinators to ensure that annual plans support agency and sponsorship strategic priorities.
- Ensure that sponsorship related objectives in the areas of program, budget, operations and sponsor retention are reviewed at least quarterly by the FO Senior Management Team.
- Provide guidance and support on program quality, cost effectiveness and integration to technical unit heads.
- Enhance resource mobilization through seeking partnership with donors in close coordination with thematic units.
- Work with program teams and partners to collect success stories, photos and program results.
- Lead program coordinators to implement activities as per set plan and monitor quality of program deliverables.
- Coordinate an annual self-assessment of sponsorship in collaboration with CO Sponsorship Unit according to agency guidelines. Coordinate sponsorship reviews as appropriate. Create an Action Plan based on the self-assessment /review and track each item through to closure. Report quarterly on progress.
- Prepare and submit sponsorship monthly, quarterly and annual plans as per agreed timeline.
- Prepare and submit sponsorship Program Assessment Tool (PAT) every year.
- Participate in development of phase over plans.
Sponsorship Operations, Communications and Compliance
- Work with staff and communities to enrol children in sponsorship. Meet annual enrolment targets.
· Child Eligibility & Program Participation: Ensure that systems are in place to monitor child eligibility and participation in sponsorship-funded programs. When standards are not being met, take proper and timely action based on agency policies and procedures.
- Ensure that all forms of child correspondences are of high quality and sent on time to CO including 30 Day Letters, responses to sponsor mail, email and inquiries.
- Oversee annual updating of data and photos for all enrolled children annually through the AFU process
- Coordinate with appropriate field office staff all sponsor visits.
- Ensure that proper parental consent is obtained for all enrolled children. Oversee annual updating of data and photos for all enrolled children annually through the AFU process.
- Report the death or ineligibility of any enrolled child within established timeframes.
- Ensure that community members and parents of sponsored children have a firm understanding of sponsorship and SC through sponsorship orientation session(s).
- Collaborate with HR and Operations to ensure key stakeholders, incl. communities have good understanding of the SC child safety policy and adhere to its content.
- Lead quality improvement efforts to ensure that key areas for improvement are identified each year and progress toward improvement is tracked.
· Prepare annual sponsorship Program Operation Plan (POP) based on Summary Implementation Plan (SIP)
- Lead sponsorship budget planning for the impact area.
· Manage sponsorship budgets, including phasing of budgets as per work plans, leading monthly review of spend reports, identification of errors and required actions to address.
· Ensure effective and efficient utilization of project budget and other resources for intended purpose; follow up on budget utilization and project expenditure as needed.
· Closely work with the Awards Team to efficiently monitor and track burn rates, reporting and financial compliance issues
Staff Management, Mentorship, and Development
· Ensure appropriate staffing within the impact area sponsorship team.
· Provide the sponsorship IA staff with clear direction including Job Descriptions and Performance Objectives that relate to the Sponsorship Policies and Procedures Manual and achieving operational and strategic objectives.
· Manage team; define expectations, provide leadership and technical support as needed, and evaluate direct reports regularly
· Ensure the recruitment, training, development and promotion of staff as appropriate and ensure availability of appropriate professional development opportunities for staff
· Incorporate staff development strategies and Performance Management Systems into team building process. Establish result based system and follow up
· Conduct regular Field Office Sponsorship staff meetings.
· Manage the performance of all staff in the department work area through:
o Effective use of the Performance Management System including the establishment of clear, measureable objectives, on-going feedback, periodic reviews and fair and unbiased evaluations;
o Coaching, mentoring and other developmental opportunities;
o Recognition and rewards for outstanding performance;
o Documentation of performance that is less than satisfactory, with appropriate performance improvements/ work plans
Coordination and Community Mobilization
- Ensure that Community Mobilization Module steps are followed at every sponsorship program cycle.
- Lead periodic community mobilization campaigns as needed.
- In collaboration with other key partners, ensure the establishment sponsorship multisectoral coordination mechanism at regional/ Zonal level and its proper functioning.
- Coordinate with the field-office manager in order to manage the project and area operations, supervise the field support staff, and coordinate activity of sponsorship by working closely with the technical team, program coordinators to ensure quality of interventions and on time completion of activities
- Ensure that weekly schedules/travel plans are coordinated and completed, and manage project coordinators under his/her supervision.
- Coordinate with the field office and ensure that the project’s administrative processes, such as logistics, procurements, and policy compliance are well established and fully implemented according to Save the Children’s policy and procedures
Monitoring, evaluation and quality assurance
· Document situation analysis of sponsorship-funded core program issues in the location and establish baseline data for impact monitoring, as well as for use in for new business developments
· In coordination with IA MEAL team, design results based monitoring and evaluation process for projects under supervision
· Monitor and systematically document implementation lessons, best practices and innovations for projects under supervision; and ensure that such information is fed into new business development.
· Plan and facilitate regularly scheduled reviews of projects with partners and stakeholders
· Facilitate mid-term, terminal and other review and evaluation of projects through participatory process
· In coordination with MEAL coordinator, lead and coordinate the development of TORs and management of tasks, including quick assessments, evaluations, and documentations, for projects under supervision as required
· Facilitates visits to donors, members and others as necessary
· Report regularly FO manager and head of sponsorship on program updates.
Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
In order to be successful you will bring/have:
- Master’s degree in Education, development studies, social science, health sciences or equivalent
- Recommended a minimum of 7 years’ experience in a corporate or NGO environment managing education and/or health projects.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of the Ethiopian education and/or health policy and strategies and programs.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets
- Experience of working successfully with senior managers in other parts of own organization or partner organizations to deliver major change
- Experience of successfully implementing changes to processes to improve and monitor quality standards and impact achieved
- Experience of managing and shaping programmes to deliver greater efficiency and effectiveness, and of strengthening implementation of financial control processes
- Solid budgeting and financial management skills
- Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner
- Ability and willingness to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies
- Fluency in English, both verbal and written, required
- Commitment to Save the Children values
- Experience in managing and directing field program.
- Knowledge of key sponsorship operational regulations.
- Experience in working with the Ministry of Education and/or Health at sub-national levels.
- Experience in research and development and linking findings into practice.
- Knowledge of local area
We offer a competitive package in the context of the sector. The duty station of the position holder will be Waghimra Sekota for 12 Months with possible extension. This role is offered on the basis of national terms and conditions only.