Amref Health Africa
Although Amref Health Africa has been formally registered in Ethiopia in 1998, a full-fledged country program was started in 2002. Since then, the country program has grown from one project in Addis Ababa to over 20 projects in five regions (Addis Ababa, Afar, North Shewa, Oromiya and Southern Nation, Nationalities and People Region). Amref Health Africa Health Africa, Ethiopia is working in health development with the motto of lasting health change in Africa.
Term of Reference for Project Assistant Recruitment
Project Title: Health, Climate Change Mitigation and Resilience Pilot project in Ethiopia
Position: Project Assistant
Duty Station: Gambella Town
Required number: 1(One)
Terms of employment: 1 year with possibility of extension based on the availability of funds and performance
Expected Starting Date: As soon as possible.
Amref Health Africa is one of the largest African-led international health development organizations headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya. Amref is Founded in 1957 as the Flying Doctors of East Africa to bring critical health services to remote communities, Amref Health Africa in the intervening years has broadened its mission to include training of some 500 thousand community health workers and managing the design and implementation of health development projects in more than 30 countries across Africa. With a focus on women and children, Amref Health Africa strives to overcome the most critical health challenges facing the continent: maternal and child health, HIV & TB, malaria, clean water and sanitation, and surgical and clinical outreach. Amref Health Africa has offices in Kenya, Ethiopia, South Africa, South Sudan, Senegal, Tanzania, and Uganda as well as in Europe and North America. Amref employs over 1,000 people.
Amref Health Africa would like to recruit Project Assistant for its “Climate Change and health project in the Gambella region. The jobholder will be based in Gambella town and frequently travel to the project intervention sites (Itang, Gog, and Gambella districts).
Purpose of the Job:
The main purpose of the job is to implement the project entitled “Climate Change and Health Pilot project in Ethiopia”. The project aims to create enhanced Climate change mitigation and resilient societies and systems by strengthening climate change adaptation and mitigation, Climate change surveillance and early Warning Systems, Capacity building and awareness raising.
The successful candidate will report to the Project officer and works closely with the field office, country office team, and other stakeholders.
● Prepare weekly, monthly, and quarterly detail implementation work plan
● Prepare and submit weekly, monthly, and quarterly project progress updates
● Prepare and submit timely the monthly, quarterly, biannual, and annual quality narrative reports to the project officers;
● Implement project activities together with regional/district health office, regional/district water office, Regional Metrology Bureau, Health centers, and other relevant project partners.
● Prepare project-related documents for key stakeholders as required, including status updates, reports, budgets, and discussion/power points to manage the flow of information.
● Participating in site selection for construction of Climate-resilient infrastructure construction activities
● Conduct regular follow-up/supervision of construction Climate-resilient infrastructure with relevant government stakeholders
● Conduct training and awareness-raising for communities, government authorities on Climate change, health impact, resilience, preparedness, response, and mitigations
● Conduct training for health workers and other stakeholders on climate change & health impact
● Identify project beneficiaries and keep the necessary documentation, checklist and registration
● Participate on project implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the activities
● Assist the project in any emerging issue as requested by the supervisor
● Work effectively with team members towards mutual and continued development and provide feedback undertaking .
● Undertake review meetings with partners and field visits to track progress, and corrective action as required
● Conduct, Facilitate and participate in the periodic review meetings and discussions, monitoring, and follow-ups.
● Effectively utilize Amref’s Enterprise Resource Planning system, Information Management and other knowledge management platforms;
● Work with the program accountant, M & E Officer, and procurement units to ensure efficiency and effectiveness ;
Knowledge and skills:
● The Project Assistant should have good understanding of climate change technical subject s , with adequate experience in practical situations in Ethiopia, including familiar with hands-on implementation of the mitigation measures.
● knowledge of environmental sustainability issues and climate change data.
● understanding of technical aspects of climate change and issues relating to individual behavioral responses to climate change mitigation actions.
● In-depth knowledge of environmental and climate change related concepts, theories, policies and practices;
● understanding of current issues related to climate change and environment at the national and sub-national levels;
● Ability to navigate, analyze, and present data with high numerical content in appropriate forms.
● Skill in presentation and facilitation, writing, and listening skills
● Fluency in English, Amharic, and knowledge of local language is an advantage Comfortable to receiving feedback
● Good Interpersonal skills experience working in a multi-cultural environment
● Excellent computer skills: MS applications- Windows, MS Word and Excel, and research data analysis software (STATA, SPSS……)
● The ideal candidate must have strong analytical, problem solving and networking skills & a team player
· BSC in environmental health, Public Health, and any other WASH related fields.
● Minimum of 4 years’ of experience in WASH/health project implementation.
● NGO experience is an advantage