Dexis Consulting Group
USAID/Ethiopia Support Program (ESP) aims to provide pathways to a more democratic and stable Ethiopia by building an enabling environment for peaceful and inclusive consensus building processes. To this end, ESP works to strengthen intra- and inter-group relationships and actions, advance inclusive and constructive public discourse. Dexis Consulting Group is USAID’s implementing partner for ESP.
Dexis will provide the personnel, systems, and technical capacity needed to ensure that the USAID Ethiopia Support Program is operational, grant-ready, and active in activity implementation. Dexis’ Field Team brings the USAIDs experience, relevant field experience, and operations savvy necessary for Dexis to quickly research, identify, and develop grants for activities with local organizations.
Dexis is seeking an Engineer to support ESP. This is a full-time position based in Mekelle, Ethiopia, with an immediate start date.
· Plan, design and develop building structures and facilities and/or rehabilitation plans for existing structures, including relevant structural calculations, models, charts and graphs;
· Prepare construction drawings and design specifications including use of computers and computer-aided design (CAD) technology.
· Prioritize the use of local, contextually relevant materials, factoring in the desired project outcome, stresses, and strains as well as strength of different materials;
· Assist the Project Manager in the planning, organization and monitoring of site investigations, surveys and analyses of existing buildings, feasibility studies, structural inspections and assessments, and preparation of assessment for associated reports;
· Design projects that enable community engagement in the construction process;
· Assume technical responsibility for the preparation of technical assessments, quality plans, and design work, estimates, bills of quantities (BOQs) and review of bid documentation and assessments;
· Assess the requirements of new/potential projects, breaking them into tasks and working with the counterpart to determine scope of work, budget and staffing including writing scope of work for design;
· Monitor and inspect project sites for compliance to applicable codes, accepted international engineering practices and Ethiopian standards;
· Provide required technical advice, input and documentation for internal, organizational, partner and stakeholder reports;
· Build the capacity of the field team to manage construction activities through learning by doing and targeted trainings as appropriate;
· Review and update technical standards, office procedures, construction techniques, and use of materials on a regular basis as well as in the event of any change in statutes, to ensure that USAID /ESP uses best practices with continuous improvement;
· Oversee third parties undertaking investigations for USAID/ ESP and work with geotechnical engineers to investigate ground conditions and analyze results of soil or water samples and in-site tests;
· Support in the implementation of Health, Safety, Social and Environmental measures at project sites;
· Perform other related duties as assigned.
This position will report to Regional Program Manager (RPM) or designee.
· A master’s degree in civil, Structural or Infrastructural Engineering is preferred. A bachelor’s degree in civil, Structural or Infrastructural Engineering combined with two (2) additional years of experience may also be accepted.
· Minimum of five years of relevant professional experience in engineering and infrastructure projects.
· Proven experience in managing and coordinating projects, including design and construction supervision is required.
· Experience in production of drawings, BOQS, specifications and design reports are an asset.
· Experience in working with government agencies, international organizations, and other stakeholders of Ethiopian infrastructure projects is an asset.
· Strong knowledge of project management principles, including budgeting, scheduling, and quality control is preferred.
· Proficient in using computer-aided design (CAD) software and other engineering tools.
· Previous experience writing Environmental Mitigation and Management Plans is preferred
· Previous USAID experience preferred
· Fluency in written and spoken English.
· Fluency in written and spoken English and Amharic
· Fluency in Tigrigna is preferred.