Samaritan’s Purse (SP) is a non denominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. The organization has helped meet the needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease and famine and operates in various regions around Ethiopia.
Samaritan’s Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan’s Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine. Samaritan’s Purse is privileged to be part of the humanitarian effort in Ethiopia and legally registered as foreign charity to work in Ethiopia since October 08, 2018.
The Pharmacist will assist medical staff in the management and stocking of the pharmacy and stock room in support of Samaritan’s Purse Mobile Medical and Nutrition Unit, Tigray. The Pharmacist will be responsible for maintaining a high standard of care as the health team treat patients. The workload is intensive and requires a team of dedicated health professionals to meet the ever-increasing demand for specialized medical care in the affected Region. Therefore, the Pharmacist will support the Mobile Health and Nutrition Team as well as provide support to recovering Health Centers. At times the Doctor may be called upon to fulfill duties not directly involved with this job description.
- Manage and stock pharmacy and storeroom directly supporting Samaritan’s Purse Mobile Medical and Nutrition Unit. Provide pharmaceutical care supervision to patients/beneficiaries according to adapted and updated medical knowledge according to SP and Ethiopia Government protocols, values and universal infection control standards to improve the patients/beneficiary’s health status.
- Manage storeroom inventory of pharmaceuticals and medical supply.
- Manage supply trackers, including tracking the number of items used per day and knowing when to re-order items.
- Work with staff to ensure care and communication is culturally sensitive.
- Ensure storeroom is properly secure; ensuring storeroom is locked whenever storeroom staff is not present.
- Manage the stock of portable pharmaceutical and supply bins, ensuring they are prepared for staff to take to the field sites.
- Maintain storeroom following SP protocols, including monitoring temperature and proper storage of medications.
- Support clinical leadership to enforce compliance with standard infection prevention and control guidelines.
- Participate in the accurate clinical documentation and collection of epidemiological data, checking its validity and informing the M&E Manager and Health Program Manager as appropriate, about any problem or complication of the patients’ illness or medical error (s).
- Support the Medical Coordinator in monitoring the proper functioning of the mobile medical unit, equipment, supplies, or pharmaceuticals.
- Ensure patient confidentiality is respected at all times.
- Support clinical leadership to provide training and mentoring to other clinical staff in dissemination of new knowledge or protocols.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Attend daily morning devotions and participates in prayer support for ministry, donors and voluntaries.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Attention to detail, anticipation and follow up are core values of the job function.
- Possesses strong organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Must be a self-starter and internally driven to success and hard work.
- Possesses strong cross-cultural communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Must be a humble team player
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable.
- Willingness to travel in and out of the field.
- Must have analytical and report writing skills.
- High level of integrity and stewardship
- Committed to the SP values and ethics
- Proficient in making clinical decisions in the care of the patient population serving.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE NEEDED
- Diploma/BSC Degree in Pharmacy.
- Has experience of 2 years and above in pharmacy or hospital setting, preferably in low-resource setting.
- Amharic, required
- English, required
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk and run; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work in a security context that is fluid
The employee is required to carry out his/her duties in accordance with Samaritan’s Purse Safeguarding policy and Code of conduct.
Employee should remain alert and responsive to any child and adult safeguarding risks, acquire relevant knowledge and skills, which will enable him/her to promote strong safeguarding practices, understand the child and adult safeguarding policy and procedures, and conduct his/herself in a manner consistent with the Safeguarding Policy.