Medical Teams International
Medical Teams International is a Christian humanitarian relief agency focused on providing life-saving medical care for people in crisis. We serve all people—regardless of religion, nationality, sex, or race.
Our calling is Daring to love like Jesus, we boldly break barriers to health and restore wholeness in a hurting world.
Medical Team International looking for qualified applicant for the following position:
To ensure quality health care services for vulnerable refugee, internally displaced and host populations in Afar, Ethiopia. This position will be responsible for ensuring quality implementation and daily operations of the Sexual and Reproductive Health programming, including Maternity Waiting Home and facility-based midwifery and psychosocial support for SGBV and SRH.
1. Essential Duties / Responsibilities:
- Assist in Ensuring MTI’s standard of quality in health services is met
- Participates in the planning, implementation and supervision of the SRH program, which includes antenatal care, postnatal care, safe deliveries, treatment for STIs, SGBV services including clinical management of rape, and family planning
- Develops plans for process and quality improvement and reports findings to the Medical Coordinator
- Ensures quality control at all levels of service provision (Maternity Waiting Home, primary care facility based SRH, support for referral hospital OB/GYN services)
- Ensures compliance to program standards at all levels and reports any issues of concern to the Medical Coordinator in a timely manner
- Ensures monitoring and accountability of beneficiary registrars
- Ensures data collection meets program requirements, and that all activities are suitably documented
- Assists in the compliance with government health reporting mechanisms; both in terms of reporting to WHO, RHB, UNFPA and internal reporting
- Assess and implement appropriate training in coordination with the medical coordinator to equip and strengthen knowledge and skills of SRH personnel
- Leads development of trainings, feedback sessions and tools for M&E and quality improvement
- Ensures that programming is of excellent technical quality, suitable to attract donor funding and contributes significantly to MTI’s strategic objectives
- Provides technical support to project clinical personnel to ensure programming objectives are successfully achieved and treatment protocols are followed, adhering to international, donor and RHB Guidelines and policies
- Liaise with other health and protection actors to develop effective referral pathways
- Build effective partnership relationships with stakeholders including community leaders, health facility staff and beneficiaries, including actively seeking feedback
- Participates in local coordination mechanisms including SRH/SGBV working groups as appropriate
- Work with Medical Inventory Office and Medical Coordinator to ensure timely ordering of any necessary supplies, pharmaceuticals, and equipment
- Ensure the Safeguarding of program participants and employees through promoting an environment of awareness and upholding the code of conduct provisions of Medical Teams Protection from Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, Child & Vulnerable Adult protection, and harassment-free workplace policies.
2. Quality Management
- Aiming to achieve the highest quality programming possible within the challenging context of Afar, Ethiopia
- Ensure all patients are treated based on relevant guidelines, including the Ethiopian primary health care clinical guidelines
- Ensure rational use of drugs such that only those essential for treatment are prescribed. Do not overprescribe.
- Provide compassionate and respectful care to all patients, ensuring that dignity and confidentiality are maintained within MTI’s services
- Support other staff and colleagues to maintain good infection control practices to prevent spread of illnesses within health facilities and among the staff
3. Additional activities
- Support other areas of the office as requested or needed to ensure efficiency and quality of work for all
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment, disposing of waste appropriately
Required Number: One(1)
Work Days & Hours: Monday-Friday, 40-48 hours/week, occasional weekends and public holidays
EDUCATION, LICENSES, & CERTIFICATIONS
Medical Doctor, BSC Nurse, BSC Midwife or Health Officer
- At least 3 years experience working in direct health service delivery and 2 years’ experience managing operation of health services, including staff supervision.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of development & humanitarian issues and concepts
- Fluent spoken and written Afar, Amharic and English.
- Strong interpersonal and team skills
- Proven ability to be flexible in demanding situations
- Excellent communicator
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment
- Negotiation and representation skills
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Computer literate, able to work efficiently in Microsoft office on standard or mobile platforms.
- Humanitarian motivation
- Emotionally and spiritually mature
- Team player – practical, desire to support the field teams.
- Willingness to pitch in and get the job done
- Understanding and sensitivity to cross cultural issues
- Flexible and adaptable to ever changing environments
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- Able to build new relationships and gain people’s trust quickly
- Integrity in representing Medical Teams Willing to travel to insecure environments
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment
- Ability to prioritize tasks
- Ability to embrace and promote MTI’s mission and vision
- Ability to uphold and exemplify the organization’s core values
- Ability to represent the organization in a professional manner to donors, volunteers, and the public