Islamic Relief is an international relief and development charity founded in 1984 with its headquarters in Birmingham, UK. As well as responding to disasters and emergencies, Islamic Relief promotes sustainable economic and social development by working with local communities – regardless of race, religion or gender. The office officially started operation in Ethiopia in 2004. Islamic Relief Ethiopia (IRE) is operational in the Somali Region with a base office in Hargelle, Elkere, Bare and Dekasuftu, Afar Region; Ewa district & Semera, and an additional operational office in Addis Ababa.
August 24, 2022
Post Title: Senior Nutrition Officer
Duty Station: Somali Regional State, Liban Zone, Kersadulla
Reports to: Senior Project Officer
Salary: As per the organization scale
Duration: Eight (8) months
Islamic Relief is an international relief and development charity founded in 1984 with its headquarters in Birmingham, UK. As well as responding to disasters and emergencies, Islamic Relief promotes sustainable economic and social development by working with local communities – regardless of race, religion or gender. The office officially started operation in Ethiopia in 2004. Islamic Relief Ethiopia (IRE) is operational in the Somali Regional State with a base office in Jigjiga, Hargelle, Elkere, Bare, GG and Dekasuftu, Afar Regional State; Ewa, Awra and Gulina; Oromia regional State, West Harergeye, Chiro and Meayso Woredas,Borena zone,Yabello,Dubluk,Dire and Elewaye woredas and an additional operational office in Addis Ababa. For more information please visit our website: http://www.islamic-relief.org/work-with-us
The Senior Nutrition Officer undertakes Nutrition component of the project titled Promoting Resilient Livelihood and will lead the nutrition section towards quality implementation to improve assess of nutrition services by maternal and children, strengthening nutrition service delivery sites, re-instating/establishing Multi-Sectoral Nutrition Coordination/linkages, planning and facilitation of training workshops, coaching and mentoring, and influence and facilitate change through high level interpersonal and communication skills.
Senior Nutrition Officer will also lead the planning, implementation and coordination CMAM and IYCF Responses. It is envisioned that this will first be achieved through a hands on approach that will require outstanding skills in planning and facilitation of training workshops, coaching and mentoring, and an ability to influence and facilitate change through high level interpersonal and communication skills.
Description of Major Roles and Responsibilities
· Participates in the projects detailed implementation plans (DIP), at the start-up and reviews, to ensure nutrition responsive project planning
· Lead the planning, implementation and coordination key nutrition messaging for pregnant and lactating women (PLW) and to equitably reach a critical mass PLWs.
· Lead and coordinate the CMAM + IYCF capacity building supports for the staff on Nutrition components of the project.
· Participate in the development and facilitation of CMAM + IYCF training for partner and staff development on nutrition specific initiatives.
· Counseling and sensitization activities on malnutrition prevention
· Ensure the compilation of attendance lists and project documentation when required.
· Support monitoring activities by providing the supervisor with data and updated information from the field.
· Works with the relevant government structures to facilitate nutrition-related activities and monitoring in the operational areas
· Field visits and provision of nutritional and technical support to project beneficiaries.
· Documents and shares lessons/results of nutrition work and strategies within CMAM + IYCF Response
· Enhance the awareness and knowledge of traditional leaders/influential on women empowerment.
· Support development facilitators to promote Basic nutrition education.
· Perform other duties assigned by the Field supervisor
· This job description is not intended to be all inclusive and the employee will also perform other related tasks as required and communicate progress and achievement of the specific assigned task
· Conduct all duties in a professional manner following Islamic Relief staff regulations
· Handle multiple tasks on an on-going basis, and adapt to a shift or change in priorities, including the ability to work a flexible work schedule as needed to meet deliverable deadlines
· Draft agendas and record minutes of staffs meetings and answer office correspondence
· Bachelor’s degree in Human Nutrition, Public Health, Nursing or similar fields.
· Minimum 4 years field level NGO experience in development and humanitarian settings, including significant experience in managing CMAM, IYCF programs and other nutrition project.
Skills and Competences
· Substantial experience of community-based nutrition projects and familiarity of the area is desirable
· Ability to plan, implement and organize work independently with appropriate follow through while paying close attention to detail and show initiative in completing tasks and projects in a timely manner
· Excellent writing skills with the ability to produce project reports
· Demonstrated ability for leadership and independent decision making
· Strong interpersonal skills & excellent team player.
· Fluency in written and spoken English and Somali language is Mandatory.
· Previous NGO experience in related position.
· Computer skills (Excel, Word, power point Office Package)
· Firm belief in teamwork, participatory approach and sustainable development.
· Committed to work with rural poor and willing to work under pressure
· Experience in working in a team environment and in training delivery in nutrition projects
Safeguarding and Equal Opportunity
Islamic Relief and Islamic Relief staff considers the welfare and protection of children, young people and people at risk to be paramount to the organization. And must adhere the principle of ‘do no harm and leave no one behind.’ It is critical we do not expose communities or staff we work with to the risk of harm through our interventions. With a zero tolerance approach Islamic Relief have a number of related policies which also describe standards in behavior expected from the organization, its staff and representatives towards each other and those we serve. Islamic Relief is committed to responding swiftly, appropriately and constructively to any and all information children, young people and people at risk have disclosed.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. We participate in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme and will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and child abuse during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment before signing the contract agreement.
Islamic Relief believes everyone has the right to be safe, respected and valued regardless of who they are or their circumstances, and an equal employment opportunity to all candidates and qualified applicants, we do not discriminate on the base of age, sex, race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability status and diversity.