Accounting and Finance
About the Organization
EOC-DICAC was established as a development wing of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido Church with the objective of enhancing the development efforts of the country by a legal notice in 1972 and reregistered as an Ethiopian Residents Charity in accordance with Civil Society Organization proclamation number 1113/2019 with certificate No. 1560 registered in July 12/ 2019. Since its establishment, the Commission has been engaged in various development programs and brought about a significant impact on the lives of the people of Ethiopia. Rural water supply, access road construction, small scale irrigation development, education, rural development, food security, prevention of HIV/AIDS, care and support, monastic institutions development and building the capacities of community, clergies and Sunday school youths are some of the major areas of intervention. Furthermore, the Commission has been embarked with development continuum upon emergency relief, rehabilitation and refugees & returnees programs.
Duties and responsibilities
- The Senior Finance Officer has overall responsibility for supporting the finance functions for the EOC-DICAC Head office and the project office at the grass root level. The Senior Finance Officer responsibilities include internal control, accounting data base management, reconciliation and verification of payment, staff training, and management, budget and treasury and cash management functions.
- The purpose of the senior finance officer is to make sure accurate and full documentation for collection and disbursements to ensure consistence and accuracy of data in both hardcopy and accounting software.
Processing financial transactions, making reconciliation
- Verify and ensure required documentation and authorization before effecting payments and encoding data into the system
- Facilitate hand-overing of vouchers, cheques and transfer letters to the assistant accountant
- Prepare journal entries for accruals, cash collections, transfers, correction, adjustments, and petty cash replenishments.
- Review payments to the set limit ensure completeness and adherence to procurement procedures and minimum documentation.
- Supervisor to ensure payments are properly recorded on the tracking sheet.
- Ensure timely processing of payments to vendors and beneficiaries.
- Support Project offices with Incentive payroll review and approval
- Review national payroll to ensure accuracy of the data and tax compliance.
Treasury and Cash Flow Management
- Coordinate bank related instructions including user additions and deletion as well as Supervises all bank account activities including negotiation of fees, interest, and currency exchange rates.
- Oversees the timely preparation, review and approval of all monthly bank account and cash reconciliations.
- Supervises the preparation of cash Transfer Requests to project officer and from the donor ensures that appropriate balances are maintained to facilitate grant implementation.
- Ensures the development and implementation of a plan to minimize the country’s foreign exchange exposure to currency gains and losses.
- Supervises the collection of contractual and other receivables.
- Ensures that all policies and procedures are in compliance with EOC-DICAC and funding source policies, procedures, and requirements.
- As required establishes finance and supporting function policies, systems, and procedures, and directs or performs their development, documentation, and implementation.
- Manages the finance staff activities and schedules to meet the financial reporting requirements and deadlines as per EOC-DICAC and donors’ policies.
- Closely monitors all financial activities and keeps the Finance Department Head advised on all situations which have the potential for a negative impact on internal controls or financial performance.
- Maintains current knowledge of government requirements related to financial matters and ensures compliance with tax regulations and other legal requirements.
- Assist head of finance department head in preparing cross charging tax obligations and other reports
- Ensure that all disbursement and collection financial documents are fully documented and handed over to the assistant accountant for cheques dispatch and achieving.
- Provide all required data for auditing purpose as required
- Assist the periodic inventory counting finance
- Review internal system of record retention to ensure compliance with EOC-DICAC policy and the government laws.
- Ensure maintenance of uniform standards for documentation, including forms, support documents etc.
- Ensure sufficient procedures for retention of documents, proper and systematic filing for ease of access.
- Control access to financial records to authorized staff only.
- Assist the Finance Department Head in developing and conducting regular training sessions on accounting procedures, procurement procedures and donor regulations.
Key Result Areas
Strengthen and maintain the integrity of finance systems, ensuring smooth financial operations for supporting program work, updating and generating timely financial information to the management, donors, partners and other organizational levels.
Required number: one
Report to: EOC-DICAC; finance department head
Term of Employment: One year contract with a possibility of extension
- Good communication and excellent inter-personal skills
- A team player who is responsible, diplomatic and confident at dealing with people at all levels and different backgrounds
- Good analytical skills is essential
- A problem solving and solution oriented attitude; be methodical and adaptable
- Planning skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and deliver on set objectives within given deadlines
- Approachable and willingness to listen and assist finance and non-finance colleagues
- Ability to work under pressure and on irregular working hours
- Ability to occasionally conduct training of staff within the financial management area
- BA/MA degree in accounting
- 6 years of relevant work experience for BA holder
- 4 years of relevant work experience for MA holder
- NGO experience is mandatory