Legal, Social Sciences and Community
The Lutheran World Federation World Service – Ethiopia
LWF World Service
LWF World Service is the humanitarian and development arm of the Lutheran World Federation. We are a widely recognized, international, faith-based organization working in over 20 countries. We seek to bring people of all backgrounds together in the common quest for justice, peace, and reconciliation in an increasingly complex and fragmented world.
A commitment to the human rights of every individual, regardless of their status, guides our work, actions, and operations. We are particularly known for our timely, compassionate, and professional humanitarian work, and for our field presence in hard-to-reach areas. Our work is people-centered and community- based. Above all, we work with the most vulnerable, and in order to claim and uphold their rights, we engage proactively with local government and community structures.
LWF Ethiopia’s partners include Ethiopian Evangelical Church Mekane Eyesus (EECMY), Lutheran churches related agencies, the European Commission (ECHO), the US Government (BPRM) and UN Agencies with whom we are a key implementing partner.
LWF World Service Ethiopia is a registered foreign charity which has been operating in Ethiopia since 1973 implementing various development and humanitarian projects in different parts of Ethiopia.
LWF World Service Ethiopia is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applicants based on merit regardless of sex, color, religion, ethnicity, age, marital status or disability except for affirmative action in a combination of considering competency to bring gender equity
Lutheran World Federation World Service Ethiopia is a registered foreign charity which has been operating in Ethiopia since 1973 implementing various development and humanitarian projects in different parts of Ethiopia. LWF Ethiopia works closely with the Ethiopian Evangelical Church Mekane Yesus (EECMY), the Ethiopian Government, UN organizations and other funding partners. Its thematic areas include promotion of food security and sustainable livelihood, sustainable natural resources management, emergency preparedness, response and rehabilitation, and capacity building. LWF-ET is in need of hiring qualified professionals to fill the following position:
- Promote, implement and uphold the vision, mission, core values and objectives of the Lutheran World Federation World Service LWF/WS;
- Provide leadership in the Networking and Accountability and Core Humanitarian Standard implementation and be the focal person for ensuring effective delivery of service to the people of concern;
- Be in charge of, direct and supervise operations of all the Networking and Accountability and CHS issues of LWF ET
- Be in charge of, direct and supervise refugee assistance projects in areas of WaSH and livelihood, under his responsibility in Jigjiga area.
- Monitor and supervise the performance of project coordinators accountable to him; complete their performance evaluations on time and approve their annual leaves;
- Ensure and monitor that project coordinators and other project staff members are acquainted with and follow procedures outlined in the LWF program operations manual and other guidelines;
- Create and maintain the conditions for effective teamwork and moral in the project offices;
- Take appropriate action on matters related to Security Evacuation Plans whenever the situations calls for;
- Ensure that all project interventions are undertaken in accordance to LWF Ethiopia’s policies and guidelines, policies and procedures of ACT (Action by Churched Together) Alliance, specifically concerning the Code of Conduct, the Sphere standards, CHS, and the IASC’s Guideline on Mental Health and Psycho-social Support (MHPS) in emergency settings;
- Participate in administrative actions such as hiring, promotion, transfer, suspension, termination of staff working in project offices accountable to her, in consultation with HR ad Administration Unit;
- Ensure adherence to the LWF Staff Code of Conduct Regarding Sexual Exploitation and Abuse, Abuse of Power, Fraud and Corruption;
Planning, monitoring, evaluation and reporting duties
- Lead project proposal designing; implementation, monitoring and evaluation of refugee program under his supervision in Jigjiga area
- Promote partnership and collaboration with people of concern and primary focus groups throughout the project cycle, as central to overall accountability;
- Take lead in project proposal writing and supervising the project staff in proposal preparation for programming related to networking and accountability ;
- Prepare project budgets and annual, quarterly and monthly work plans for the projects accountable for him and closely supervise that all project activities are done within their approved budgets;
- Ensure that implementation of activities of the projects under his supervision are carried out in accordance to the objectives of the approved project documents;
- Ensure effective utilization of funds/resources of the humanitarian programs under his supervision;
- Monitor the financial planning and expenditure of the projects under his supervision, including verification of monthly financial reports together with the field staff;
- Ensure that project officers prepare procurement plans annually and conduct revisions in a coordinated manner and participate in the procurement processes related to projects under his supervision ensuring that correct procedures are followed, in consultation with the Procurement Officer;
- Ensure that the necessary logistical arrangements are in place for the project offices to be able to manage the planned activities, in consultation with the Logistics Officer;
- Undertake regular monitoring visits to projects under his supervision, ensuring that capacity building elements are included in each visit;
- Responsible for quality and timely submission of monthly, quarterly and annual reports from projects under her supervision;
- Ensure that mid-term and terminal evaluations of the projects are carried out timely in projects under her supervision;
- Ensure that baseline studies are conducted in the appropriate time and results are used as benchmarks for tracking changes and for reporting;
- Ensure that exit strategies and plans are prepared and carried out in a timely manner for projects phasing out and ;
- In consultation with the Program Coordinator plan for soliciting new funding for projects phasing out through development of concept papers and proposals (including needs assessment) in timely manner;
- Promote all aspects of the LWF Accountability Framework, including incorporation of Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS) and other accountability elements in all aspects of the emergency response;
- Ensure that the linkage between Relief, Rehabilitation and Development (LRRD) and Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) approached are incorporated into the project under his supervision;
- Ensure mainstreaming of LWF Ethiopia’s cross-cutting issues of gender equity, HIV&AIDS and environmental protection throughout the emergency response and strengthen gender sensitivity in all activities;
- Ensure compliance with LWF’s policies in child rights and inclusion of persons with disabilities;
- Maintain liaison with relevant District/Regional government officers including facilitation and acquisition of operational agreements;
- Maintain liaison with relevant donors and partner organizations;
- Promote cooperation with relevant networks and/or institutions in the region;
Technical advisory role
Provide support and technical training in Networking, Accountability and CHS related issues for the project staff as deemed necessary and make sure that all project staff have the required skills for their positions;
Masters or Bachelor degree in Law, Political Science and International Relation (PSIR) or other related discipline and preferably Masters degree in relevant discipline.
Minimum of 6 years relevant work experience for Masters Degree and 8 years for Bachelor Degree out of which 3 years is preferable experience in coalition and networking programs in reputable NGOs.
As per the organization’s salary scale