Reference number: Rec/043/22
CORDAID is a Dutch, international non-governmental organization which combines 100 years of experience and expertise in emergency aid and structural poverty eradication. CORDAID believes in a world without poverty and exclusion. We strive for a just and sustainable society where every person counts. We stand for knowledge and talent sharing between North and South, between farmers and businesses, between activists and policymakers. Where poverty, conflict and exclusion tear up societies, we connect people and communities. We also stand for professionalism, expertise and solidarity across borders, to make a difference where it is most needed. Together with more than 600 partner organizations in Africa, Asia, the Middle East and Latin America we structurally improve the living conditions of the poorest and most excluded populations – the bottom billion.
Under the supervision of the Performance Based Financing (PBF) Expert, the Education Specialist will provide technical advice in the implementation of the PBF in education in Jimma zone of Ethiopia. With the current focus on primary education in Jimma Zone, the specialist will focus on learning opportunities and promoting skills programmes for children in the primary formal education system whilst exploring opportunities within the pre primary and secondary education. The Specialist will provide authoritative technical guidance and operational support throughout all stages of programming to facilitate the management and delivery of results on strengthening Jimma zone education systems to improve learning outcomes, skills development and to promote universal access to quality, equitable and inclusive primary/early childhood education, including for children who are marginalized, disadvantaged and excluded in society including girls. The specialist will work with other units within Cordaid, other government departments and development partners to ensure a multi sectorial approach to implementation of the PBF in Jimma Zone. The Specialist will contribute to the achievement of results according to plans, as well as Cordaid`s Strategic Plan and support the design and scaling up of Ethiopia’s PBF in the education sector.
- In collaboration with the PBF expert, and Jimma team conduct baseline assessment exercise to support the development of evidence-based project implementation.
- Participate in designing of education intervention projects in collaboration PBF Expert and other relevant sectors within Cordaid.
Coordination and representation
- Represent Cordaid Ethiopia in subnational education cluster and share major updates timely to immediate supervisor.
- Provide regular updates to PBF Expert on a weekly and monthly basis on progress highlighting priorities and constraints.
Project implementation, monitoring and reporting
- Supervise verifiers in the implementation of PBF in the Jimma education system.
- Conduct quality monitoring and joint supervision with program team, stakeholders and take timely action in consultation with line manager.
- In close collaboration with the data expert, monitor the project implementation and ensure implementation is in the right track and expected deliverables are achieved.
- Ensure timely and quality documentation of programme activities, including collection of case stories, documenting of lessons learned, best practices and challenges.
- Coordinate with the Data Expert to establish adoption of performance standards, or indicators, and tools to collect the related data, and to analyse and share the results in order to track outputs and strengthen the adoption process and outcomes.
- Initiate and supports the development of education related technical strategies and support roll out of strategy.
- Develop detail implementation plan, implement, follow up and report in accordance with the project deliverables to concerned bodies
Strengthen internal reporting system
- Ensure high quality reports are submitted in a timely manner and in accordance with the Cordaid requirements.
- Work closely with field team to ensure that the planned activities are implemented on timely manner, with the required quality and review the status on a monthly basis.
- Ensure that gender, disability, resilience, children’s participation and accountability to affected population principles are considered and are reflected in all education programme design and implementation.
- Provide technical assistance to project through on-site and virtual platforms as appropriate respond to requests for technical expertise from field team.
- Produce, roll out and regularly review technical manuals, guidelines and tools to ensure the effective and quality implementation of project.
- Monitor new developments in implementing of the project and facilitate transfer and application of knowledge.
- Provide technical leadership and closely work with the Monitoring and Evaluation department and other sectors in strengthening Monitoring and Evaluation and use of data across all levels to improve program performance.
- Identify, introduce and take measures for scaling up effective and efficient or evidence-based best/innovative practices/approaches in new projects.
- Regularly track budget performance in close consultation with the PBF expert and project controller and take timely action.
- Regularly conduct capacity gap assessment among PBF education staff and organize in house training and provide technical support as necessary in consultation with the PBF expert.
- Regularly conduct capacity gap assessment among stakeholders and key partners and organize training and provide technical support as necessary in consultation with the PBF expert.
- MA degree in education and other education fields including in pedagogy, curriculum and instruction, social work, sociology, child protection, educational planning and administration
- Minimum eight years’ relevant field experience in education systems
- Understanding of the Ethiopian education cluster coordination
- Understanding/experience of the education sector in Ethiopia
- Some knowledge and experience in PBF is an added advantage
- Excellent supervisory and project/people management skills.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills in fluent English are essential. Proficiency in Amharic and other local languages are an advantage.
- Demonstrated strategic agility, diplomacy, conflict management, team building, written and oral communication, and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Functional/technical knowledge at highest level
- Problem solving
- Strategic Agility
- Organizing/Planning/Time Management
- Ability to manage through Systems
- Report writing
- High level training skills
As per the organization scale