Development and Project Management
EngenderHealth is a leading global reproductive health non-profit organization working to improve the health and well being of people in the poorest communities of more than 20 countries around the world. We do this by sharing our expertise in sexual and reproductive health and transforming the quality of health care. We promote gender equity, advocate for sound practices and policies, and inspire people to assert their rights to better and healthier lives. Working in partnership with local organizations, we adapt our work in response to local needs (for more information, please visi www.engenderhealth.org).
EngenderHealth Ethiopia seeks to employ qualified personnel for its Programs in Ethiopia and invites competent applicants for the following post:
INTERNAL/EXTERNAL VACANCY ANNOUNCMENET
TITLE: Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) Officer
PROGRAM OFIICE: Ethiopia Country Program, SRH Emergency project
REPORETS TO: Regional Team Leader
DUTY STATION: Samara
EngenderHealth envisions a gender-equal world where all people achieve their sexual and reproductive health and rights. We believe this is essential for ensuring all people can achieve their full potentials. To achieve this vision, we implement high-quality, gender-equitable programs that advance sexual and reproductive health and rights
They will mainly be responsible for the day-to-day implementation of MHPSS activities in the project implementation areas at both health facility and community level. In addition, the position holder is also expected to provide supervision, technical assistance and capacity building to MHNT staffs and Health workers in health facilities. They will also be responsible for ensuring day-to-day documentation of service data and other lessons and best practices both at community level by working with interns and community volunteers. They will compile weekly and monthly data related to PFA and MHPSS and share to RTL and MHPSS advisor on timely manner using the contextualized and standard reporting format.
- Assist the RTL and MHPSS advisor in the integration of mental health and psychosocial support into general care for survivors of war affected areas of Amhara and Afar regions
- Technically support and mentor the interns to provide PSA, social work and social support services linked to general health care clinics for survivors of SGBV
- Select, provide training and supervision for interns and community volunteers
- Develop culturally appropriate psychosocial activities, including social support activities
- These include, but are not limited to training in psychological first aid, designing holistic recreational, vocational and social activities; development of material for awareness campaigns;
- Serve as the primary point of contact between EngenderHealth and local partners involved in psychosocial activities.
- Provide onsite mentoring and technical support to providers to proper counselling service for those mentally ill clients need counselling and psychotherapy according to the type of illness and age category.
- Strengthen community-facility referral system for care for survivors of SGBV with psychosocial problem.
- Work in keeping with IASC guidelines on mental health and psychosocial support and promote guidelines where appropriate.
- Provide oversight, direct and supervise activities of MHPSS related activities related to comprehensive care for survivors of SGBV.
- Work closely with other mental health and psychosocial staff of supported facilities and other partners’ staffs in to ensure coordinated activities
- Work with relevant staffs and partners to develop and provide culturally appropriate community based mental health care services.
- Represent EngenderHealth in coordination meetings when necessary
- Compile information and prepare written reports as necessary
- Organize public awareness and de-stigmatization campaigns around MHPSS related health issues with support from local staff, partners and country office technical advisors
- Implement other activities as per the direction of the MHPSS advisor and RTL
- Conduct training need assessment to identify relevant community members (Women affair CSW, HAD, HEW, HWs) Knowledge gap and design appropriate training accordingly.
- Assist project staffs MHNT and others to include MHPSS key messages in their activity
- Ensure community level referral linkage and collaboration
- Strengthen referral linkage of management of cases with SGBV between PHCUs and Hospitals
- Facilitates and encourages regular review meeting and review schedules at all woreda levels and help the different institutions have it-institutionalized commitment;
- Document and share learning from counseling, integration with other health/nutrition activity
EDUCATION & EXPEREINCE
- BA in Psychology or related field with at least 3 years of counselling and social work experience
- BSc degree in Psychology or related field with at least 5 years of counselling and social work experience
- At least 2 years of mental health and psychosocial programming experience;
- In depth knowledge and experience of mental health and psychosocial programming in the humanitarian context, tailored to care for SGBV is essential.
- Familiarity with IASC Guidelines on Mental Health and Psychosocial Support in Emergency Settings
- Proven counselling skill
- Strong organizational and supervisory skills.
ESSENTIAL SOFT SKILLS
- Committed to EngenderHealth’s core organizational values of reflection, inclusion, integrity, respect, and transformation.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work within different cultural environments
- Ability to work within a team structure or in isolation, flexible, and can cope with stressful workloads and working with limited resources
PREFERRED SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND FUNCTIONS
- Strong writing and reporting skills.
- Acceptable English verbal and written skills
- Computer skills: Basic