Health Care, Quality Assurance
Samaritan’s Purse (SP) is a non denominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. The organization has helped meet the needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease and famine and operates in various regions around Ethiopia.
About Samaritan’s Purse
Samaritan’s Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan’s Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine. Samaritan’s Purse is privileged to be part of the humanitarian effort in Ethiopia and legally registered as foreign charity to work in Ethiopia since October 08, 2018.
Duration of Contract: December 31, 2023.
The Medical Data Officer will be responsible for managing data entry in the care and treatment of patients in the Samaritan’s Purse Mobile Medical and Nutrition Units (MMNUs)in the Tigray region. The Medical Data Officer will be responsible to ensure that adequate data entry and reporting of medical information is maintained. The workload is intensive and requires a team of dedicated health professionals to meet the ever- increasing demand for specialized medical care in the affected region of Tigray. The Medical Data Officer will be responsible for the input of patient data, deciphering patient disaggregation and conducting weekly and monthly reports.
· Uphold the humanitarian principles of humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and independence.
· Respect the SP values at all times, both within and outside of working hours.
· Be prepared to work in the Tigray Region and to relocate at short notice.
· Work closely with all members of the health team to provide the highest possible quality of care.
· Treat all patients and their relatives with respect and dignity.
· Maintain confidentiality for all patients.
· Collect accurate data from the MMNUs concerning patient consultations, prevalent diseases, treatment and referrals, ensuring all information is stored in a confidential manner
· Collect, review and organize data of the treatment of communicable and non-communicable diseases within the scope of the MMNU.
· Maintain and disseminate the medical information according to SP and Ethiopian Government protocols, values and universal infection control standards to improve the patients/beneficiary’s health status.
· Use data collection tools, such as excel to organize and maintain patient data.
· Work with staff to ensure care and communication is culturally sensitive and ensure patient confidentiality is respected at all times.
· Support clinical leadership to enforce compliance with clinical documentation and collection of epidemiological data, checking its validity and informing the HPM as appropriate about documentation or medical error (s).
· Support the MC and HPM in monitoring the proper reporting is maintained in the functioning of the mobile medical unit.
· Support clinical leadership to provide training and mentoring to other clinical staff in dissemination of new knowledge or protocols.
· Assist HPM and MC in compiling weekly and monthly reports as required for SP, Regional Health Bureau (RHB), WHO/other UN agencies and donors, including EWARN or Surveillance data.
· Ensure that data collection supplies are available at all times, requesting stock from Health Project Officer as necessary.
· Ensure that the MMNU’s database is backed up on a regular basis Adhere to SP security management plan
· Maintain confidentiality of patient records at all times
· Report any issues regarding workplace practices to appropriate Manager.
· Attend all staff meetings, when possible
· Work closely with HPM and MC to ensure that work is carried out to a high standard
· Ensure that all paperwork is completed in an accurate and timely manner in compliance with SP and donor requirements
· Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be willing to abide by Samaritan’s Purse’s code of conduct and understand the principals of Samaritan’s Purse’s Statement of Faith, as well as be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Attention to detail, anticipation and follow up are core values of the job function.
· Possesses strong organizational and problem-solving skills.
· Must be a self-starter and internally driven to success and hard work.
· Possesses strong cross-cultural communication skills, both written and verbal.
· Must be a humble team player
· Ability to be flexible and adaptable.
· Willingness to travel in and out of the field.
· Must have analytical and report writing skills.
· High level of integrity and stewardship
· Committed to the SP values and ethics
· Proficient in making clinical decisions in the care of the patient population serving.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE NEEDED
· Diploma and above in computer studies
· Background in Health or Health Data Analysis.
· Proficient in Excel software.
· 2 years’ work experience in data management with an NGO, preferred
· Amharic and English (spoken and written required)
· Tigrigna languages strongly desired
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk and run; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be exposed to loud noises around the maintenance and construction workshops.
· May travel in country with exposure to communicable diseases, hot and humid weather conditions.
· Work in a security context that is fluid
The employee is required to carry out his/her duties in accordance with Samaritan’s Purse Safeguarding policy and Code of conduct.
Employee should remain alert and responsive to any child and adult safeguarding risks, acquire relevant knowledge and skills, which will enable him/her to promote strong safeguarding practices, understand the child and adult safeguarding policy and procedures, and conduct his/herself in a manner consistent with the Safeguarding Policy.