Samaritan’s Purse (SP) is a non denominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. The organization has helped meet the needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease and famine and operates in various regions around Ethiopia.
Samaritan’s Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan’s Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine. Samaritan’s Purse is privileged to be part of the humanitarian effort in Ethiopia and legally registered as foreign charity to work in Ethiopia since October 08, 2018.
The Laboratory Technician will perform clinical laboratory activities according to SP protocols, security and hygiene measures in order to obtain results to determine the patient’s treatment in support of the SP MMNU in Jarra Camp, Amhara Region. This position requires commitment and understanding of SP Mission and Statement of Faith, as well as agreement and compliance with the Samaritan’s Purse statement of faith and policies. At times the Laboratory Technician may be called upon to fulfill duties not directly involved with this job description.
- Uphold the humanitarian principles of humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and independence.
- Respect the SP values at all times, both within and outside of working hours.
- Be prepared to work in Jarra Camp and to relocate at short notice.
- Work closely with all members of the health team to provide the highest possible quality of care.
- Treat all patients and their relatives with respect and dignity.
- Maintain confidentiality for all patients.
- According to medical prescription, prepare and perform clinical exams/tests with appropriate techniques and following SP and DOH protocols and procedures. This function includes, among others:
- Collecting samples as necessary.
- Perform laboratory exams (serology, hematology, biochemistry, bacteriology or parasitological, according to context of the mission).
- Ensure proper reporting and registration of the sample results in order to keep a written track of activity and give information to the relevant persons, ensuring confidentiality.
- Keep organized the data collection system of laboratory results and all information generated from the analysis done.
- Take care, manage and organize efficiently the laboratory material/equipment.
- Apply hygiene and safety protocols, doing daily cleaning /maintenance, sterilization, washing general glassware after procedures are done.
- Ensuring proper sample waste disposal according to SP protocols and highest safety standards.
- Supply orders, do stock, storage conditions follow-up, keep inventory.
- Ensure that infection control measures are followed at all times maintaining high level of cleanliness.
- Assist with additional duties after appropriate training and as requested by PM.
- Capacity building MMU pharmacy/health staff in correct prescriptions, correct dispensing, patient education, adverse side effect education and management, warehouse/storage management, stock supply management, procurement/requesting of medications, strengthening the supply chain by advocating to RHB together with MMU staff.
- Submit weekly stock reports, indicating which items are near to expiry and/or minimum stock levels
- Submit weekly temperature and humidity reports
- Conduct a physical inventory of all stock on a monthly basis
- Regularly communicates with the PM and MC to relay general flow, success, and challenges of the medical clinic.
- Adhere to SP security management plan
- Ensure that the lab is locked at all times
- Ensure that no unauthorized persons are admitted to the lab
- Report any security incidents or concerns to PM immediately
- Work closely with line manager to implement anti-fraud and loss measures in the warehouse
- Interpret as necessary between Local language and English for the HPM and Health TA.
- Coordinate and Liaise with members of the SP health management team and clinical team to ensure all objectives of the health program are met.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Attention to detail, anticipation and follow up are core values of the job function.
- Possesses strong organizational and problem solving skills.
- Must be a self-starter and internally driven to success and hard work.
- Possesses strong cross-cultural communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Must be a humble team player
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable.
- Willingness to travel in and out of the field.
- Must have analytical writing skills
- Computer literate with good skills in common Microsoft office programs
- High level of integrity and stewardship
- Committed to the SP values and ethics
- Essential Laboratory Technician diploma /degree
- At least two years of post-qualification experience working in a clinical setting
- Prefer previous experience working for an NGO in primary health care
- English, required
- Amharic, required
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk and run; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- May travel in country with exposure to communicable diseases, hot and humid weather conditions.
- Work in a security context that is fluid
The employee is required to carry out his/her duties in accordance with Samaritan’s Purse Safeguarding policy and Code of conduct.
Employee should remain alert and responsive to any child and adult safeguarding risks, acquire relevant knowledge and skills, which will enable him/her to promote strong safeguarding practices, understand the child and adult safeguarding policy and procedures, and conduct his/herself in a manner consistent with the Safeguarding Policy.