Medical Teams International
Medical Teams International is a Christian humanitarian relief agency focused on providing life-saving medical care for people in crisis. We serve all people—regardless of religion, nationality, sex, or race.
Our calling is Daring to love like Jesus, we boldly break barriers to health and restore wholeness in a hurting world.
Medical Team International looking for a qualified applicants for the following position:
To ensure quality health care services for vulnerable refugee and host populations in Afar Region, Ethiopia. This position will be responsible for ensuring adequate support of Five Angels PHC in Afar region.
Essential Duties / Responsibilities:
- Identify needs of Five Angels clinic in order to restore operations to full capacity and communicate them with the Medical Teams International Medical Coordinator
- Ensure that the provision of healthcare services complies with the standards set forth by RHB
- Verify that at the moment of health delivery, all services are carried out using the highest standards and upon identifying processes which do not comply with Medical Team’s standards, report findings to the Medical Coordinator.
- Perform quality control checks, ensuring quality control at all levels of services offered (referrals from the community, PHC, pharmacies, laboratories and referrals for higher levels of care)
- Ensure that patient flow between clinic, pharmacy and other health referral institutions is efficient and meets RHB standards
- Ensure compliance with all quality standards defined at each level of health attention
- Ensure proper registration of all patients
- Maintain compliance with all health care protocols as set forth by the Secretary of Health and International standards
- Ensure weekly monitoring and evaluation reports from Five Angels is provided to MTI
- Provide technical support to members of the health team in Afar to ensure that all objectives are carried out according to national standards
- Work closely with Five Angels and the MTI Medical Coordinator to help provide capacity building for healthcare staff at the clinics where services are being offered
- Identify needs for training at the clinics where services are offered, report training needs to the Medical Coordinator and support the development and implementation of training plans
- Promote strong linkages between Community Health Workers and other members of the healthcare team
- Aiming to achieve the highest quality programming possible within the challenging context of Afar, Ethiopia
- Ensure all patients are treated based on the Guidelines of the Ministry of Health and the IMCI guidelines
- Ensure rational use of drugs such that only those essential for treatment are prescribed. Do not overprescribe.
- Provide compassionate and respectful care to all patients who present to the clinic
- Support other staff and colleagues to maintain good infection control practices to prevent spread of illnesses within the clinic and among the staff
- Support other areas of the office as requested or needed to ensure efficiency and quality of work for all
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment, disposing of waste appropriately
- Ensure the Safeguarding of program participants and employees through promoting an environment of awareness and upholding the code of conduct provisions of Medical Teams Protection from Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, Child & Vulnerable Adult protection, and harassment-free workplace policies.
- Ensure accountability is integrated into country strategies, program design, monitoring and evaluations, recruitment, staff onboarding, trainings and performance management, partnership agreements, and highlighted in reporting.
Required Number: One(1)
Work Days & Hours: Monday-Friday, 40-48 hours/week, occasional weekends and public holidays.
WORK CONDITIONS: Staff will be working primarily from the Medical Teams International offices in Afar Region Zone 2 with some travel to field site.
EDUCATION, LICENSES, & CERTIFICATION
BSC Degree in Nursing or Health Officer
At least 3 yrs experience working at a PHC. 2 years’ experience managing operation of health services
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of development & humanitarian issues and concepts
- Fluent spoken and written Afar, Amharic and English.
- Strong interpersonal and team skills
- Proven ability to be flexible in demanding situations
- Excellent communicator
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment
- Negotiation and representation skills
- Analytical and problem solving Computer literate, able to work efficiently in Microsoft office on standard or mobile platforms.
- Humanitarian motivation
- Emotionally and spiritually mature
- Team player – practical, desire to support the field teams.
- Willingness to pitch in and get the job done
- Understanding and sensitivity to cross cultural issues
- Flexible and adaptable to ever changing environments
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- Able to build new relationships and gain people’s trust quickly
- Integrity in representing Medical Teams Willing to travel to insecure environments
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment
- Ability to prioritize tasks
- Ability to embrace and promote MTI’s mission and vision
- Ability to uphold and exemplify the organization’s core values
- Ability to represent the organization in a professional manner to donors, volunteers, and the public
- This position requires frequent travel to health facilities located in remote areas with very basic living conditions.