Logistics, Transport and Supply Chain
Mercy Corps Ethiopia
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions.
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps has been operating in Ethiopia since 2004, working in rural, peri-urban and urban areas in five regional states – Somali, Oromia, Afar, Southern Nations Nationalities and Peoples, Amhara – and the capital city of Addis Ababa. We engage in both development and humanitarian work, and seek to integrate approaches, programs and geographies as much as possible. Our partners include government, academic institutions, development and private sector actors, civil societies and communities.
Program / Department Summary
The Driver will work within the logistics department of Operational Support structure, committed to provide reliable and compliant support to program activities in order to achieve efficient service to program beneficiaries.
General Position Summary
The driver will provide safe, transport services for Mercy Corps program and support staff in the described AOR (Area of Responsibility). The driver will adhere to all traffic and MC safety rules and follow the transport guidelines required by the MC transport department.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions & resources to achieve objectives and contribute to countrywide strategy development.
Develop and organize activities to secure resources for programs and convince stakeholders to provide support.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Operate MC vehicles as assigned by supervisor.
- Maintain vehicle log-sheets in accordance with MC policies/regulations.
- Check the vehicle conditions after each trip/routinely – report needs and problems to transport management.
- Adhere to all safety and communication protocols as advised by Mercy Corps and supervisor.
- Responsible for the safekeeping of all vehicle equipment, tools, first aid kits, spares etc.
- Keep the vehicle ready, clean and on standby – ready for use at all times.
- Assist, as required, with logistics in the office and guesthouse daily workloads.
- Cooperate and be of assistance to staff and visitors – assist in troubleshooting potential problems during daily business.
- Report all maintenance needs of the vehicle to transport management on a regular basis.
- Undertake field assignments as assigned.
- Adherence to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in country of operation.
- Other duties as assigned.
Finance & Compliance Management
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency programming.
- Draft and/or review scope of work to hire and manage any technical consultants, including review for technical efficacy and contract budget.
Influence & Representation
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with consortium partners, sub-grantees, donors, local governments and other stakeholders.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and
GEDSI (GENDER, EQUALITY, DIVERSITY AND SOCIAL INCLUSION)
- Understand and aware GDI related priorities of the country office and contribute for the realization of priorities (continually work to understand and be aware of the gender diversity and inclusion priorities of the country office and contribute in the execution)
- Promote gender equal and inclusive workplace culture in a day-to-day interaction with a team member, partners and program participants.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: None
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Area operation officer
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Program and Support StaffDo This
- 3rd Grade or above Valid Driving License.
- High school Graduate
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience as a Driver, preferably in an International NGO.
- Experience in repairing Vehicles (Auto background) is an advantage.
- Ability to communicate in both Amharic & English languages and knowledge of other local language is preferred.
- Knowledge of routes, duty stations, project areas, the NGO and diplomatic community is required.
- Willing to work in remote areas and able to work in a team.
- Motivated and committed.
- Flexible and willing to work under pressure, outside normal office hours and during weekends.
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and appropriate flexibility.
- Emotional maturity and physical stamina.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse group of people.
- Good Time Management Skill, Attendance.
Skills like Safety Management, Problem Solving, Dealing with Complexity, Analyzing Information